Whether it’s a difficult decision that affects only you or several of your friends, family or colleagues, try these simple techniques.
Impose a time limit. Many business leaders will call their executive team together and give them a deadline to make a difficult decision or have one imposed on them.
Don’t over-analyze or get trapped in the details. Imagine you’re a helicopter pilot looking at the problem from their air. Focus on the big picture.
Visualize various solutions. Play them out in your mind as though you were watching a TV drama unfold. Consider any unintended consequences before you make the call.
Scholar, author and adviser to four US presidents, Warren G Bennis, said: “The manager asks how and when. The leader asks what and why.”
The answers will point you in the right direction.
You will also like
- 6 Tips to stay mentally strong during the lockdownHow to stay mentally strong during the lockdown: Working on a big project? Break it into chunks and set a deadline for each one. Stay …
- Innovation, a book for your bookshelfA book about innovation. Practical advices on how to get management to appreciate the value of ideas in the pursuit of customer satisfaction.
- For solving problems, ingenuity is more powerful than effortResearches show that mental skills such as insight and curiosity beat sheer effort every time. Even when faced with complex problems.
- Now, you need your emotional intelligence skills more than everA restaurant’s employee had given an extra care treatment to a customer. This act of Emotional Intelligence can create unexpected benefits.
- The herd instinct for animals can be a life-saverThe Herd instinct for animals to behave in the same way can be a life-saver. But, as humans we have a distinct advantage.
- After the pandemic, which businesses will thrive?Based on the latest research, which businesses will thrive after the pandemic? What are the reasons for it?